Se informa ahora que alarmantes estadísticas revelan que miles de perros de raza greyhound (galgo inglés) son sacrificados/matados cada año en Australia. No porque estén enfermos o heridos sino debido a que no se consideran suficientemente adecuados para competir en carreras.
Un “documento estrictamente confidencial” que fue dado a conocer el lunes durante la apertura de una investigación por parte de la industria de perros de carreras en Nueva Gales del Sur, Australia, deberá contener información de que hasta 17.000 galgos son asesinados cada año, escriben entre otros ABC y Mashable.
La información se encuentra en un memorando interno del Greyhound Australasia (GA) uno de los órgano dirigentes de la industria, y en el documento será posible leer lo siguiente:
“Esta industria es responsable de las muertes innecesarias de entre 13 000 y 17 000 galgos sanos al año”.
El investigador Stephen Rushton, quien presentó el documento, dijo según ABC que la información que ahora se presenta es “una terrible acusación para la industria”.
La principal organización de Australia de los derechos de los animales Animals Australia, estima según Mashable que 9 de cada 10 perros que nacen en la industria nunca viven (sobreviven) todo el ciclo de su vida. [Rapport: Hundarna dödas när de inte springer tillräckligt fort – METRO]
“Greyhound racing begins as a gamble and for most dogs ends in tragedy. Every year in Australia, around 20,000 greyhound pups are bred in the hope of finding a quick runner. But not every dog is suited to racing. And like a lottery ticket that has failed to pay out, most dogs who don’t make the grade are discarded.
An estimated 18,000 healthy dogs are killed in the greyhound industry each year — 8,000 pups and young dogs never even make it to the track, and another 10,000 dogs who are ‘retired’ from racing — simply because they are too slow to win.”
“Retirement”: Once a racing greyhound is not fast enough to win races, his or her career soon comes to an end. Whilst a greyhound’s natural lifespan would be 12 to 14 years, very few of these dogs will live to that age. The vast majority will be killed once they have served their (racing) purpose.
Nine out of 10 dogs born into the greyhound industry never get to live out a full life. This amounts to 18,000 dogs killed by the racing industry each year. Some ex-racers go into breeding programs, but even they will then likely be killed at age 5-6 years. Other, perfectly healthy dogs are given to university veterinary faculties where they may be killed for use in teaching and training. [Greyhound racing | Animals Australia]
- Greyhound racing’s death toll revealed | SBS
- CARRERAS Y DROGAS EN AUSTRALIA – Facebook
- Greyhound industry kills up to 17,000 young dogs, warned …
- 17,000 dogs killed yearly in Australian racing industry – NY ..
- Greyhound racing industry warned about being shut down …
- Greyhound inquiry: Between 13,000 to 17,000 dogs killed …
- Greyhound inquiry hears from Sydney live baiters and …
- Live baiting used by ’90 per cent’ of trainers – The Daily …
- Greyhound racing’s death toll revealed | Breaking National …
- These sickening numbers may spell the end for greyhound …
“When 55 greyhound carcasses were found dumped in a wildflower reserve on the coast of Queensland this week, it barely raised an eyebrow among those who know the racing industry well. According to animal protection group the RSPCA the dogs had likely been shot. And many were abandoned there, near Bundaberg in the state’s south-east, some time ago.”
“It’s probably likely it was a common dumping ground,” RSPCA Queensland spokesman Michael Beatty told the BBC. Only 2,000 of the roughly 20,000 greyhound puppies born each year in Australia live to a full life span of about 12 years, according to Animals Australia, which provided footage of live baiting to the ABC. Most are killed at a young age after their racing career is over, or are euthanised as puppies because they are unwanted. […] [Abuse and ‘wastage’ in Australia’s greyhound industry – BBC]
- Bred to Run or Born to Die? – The Greyhound Project, Inc.
- Greyhound live baiting: Internal documents reveal cover-ups ..
- Greyhound racing euthanasia rates slammed – ABC News ..
- EXTERNAL LINK: Watch the full Four Corners episode
- VIDEO: Making a Killing (Four Corners)
- VIDEO: Making a Killing – a preview (Four Corners)
- VIDEO: Caro Meldrum-Hanna talks to News Breakfast about her investigation (ABC News)